(360) 718-3640
Personal Injury Lawyer
Vancouver & Southwest Washington

Hit By An Uninsured Or Underinsured Motorist? Call Our Law Firm

If you were hurt in a Vancouver WA car accident, call Colin

All drivers in Washington are required to carry auto insurance. This insurance provides compensation for victims of car accidents. But despite the law, some drivers in the state don't carry enough insurance - or any at all. The Scott Law Firm, PLLC helps people who have been injured by uninsured or underinsured motorists.

If you were injured in an accident, the medical expenses can add up quickly. You may also be unable to work because of your injuries, resulting in lost income. You may have to repair or replace your car. When the driver who caused the accident is uninsured or underinsured, you can be left paying the costs.

That's not right. Car accident attorney Colin Scott can help you explore all options for recovering compensation when you are injured by an uninsured or underinsured motorist.

All motorists in the state of Washington are required to carry the below minimum amounts of insurance:

  • $25,000 per single injured person
  • $50,000 total for injuries per accident
  • $10,000 for property damage

The problem is that damage totals can easily exceed those amounts in a single accident. This can leave you and others underinsured. And if a motorist doesn't have any insurance at all, this can leave accident victims uninsured for their losses.

What should I do if I’m hit by an uninsured driver?

Take the same steps you would take as with any other accident. Call the police so they can secure the scene and document what happened. Get medical attention to identify and treat your injuries. Get the names and contact information of all parties in the accident, as well as witnesses. Then talk to an attorney about your options for recovering compensation.

Who will pay for my damages?

That depends on many factors. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, collision insurance, or personal injury protection on your policy, your insurance policy is responsible for handling your claim. If you don’t have these types of coverage, you are responsible for the cost of medical bills, repairing vehicle damage, and any other accident-related expenses. You can then seek compensation from the party that caused the crash.

What if the other driver won’t pay compensation?

If your damages from a crash with an uninsured driver exceed $1,000 in medical expenses and property damage, you can file a Motor Vehicle Claim for Damages with the Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL). This document must be filed within 180 days of the accident. Drivers who don’t pay what they owe may have their driving privileges suspended.

If your accident was caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist, one option is to try recover compensation from the negligent driver's assets. The problem is that many uninsured and underinsured motorists don't have assets (which explains why they couldn't afford to have auto insurance to begin with). And even if you obtain a judgment against the other driver, there is no guarantee the other motorist will be able to pay it.

Our goal is to get the best possible outcome for every client

Another option is to always carry uninsured and underinsured motorist (UM and UIM) protection on your motor vehicle insurance policy. This coverage is not required in the state of Washington, but insurers are required to offer it as an option. As a general rule, here at the Scott Law Firm, PLLC, we always advise our clients to add UIM protection to their policy if they don't already have it.

But what if you don't have this protection and have been in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist? Attorney Colin Scott will thoroughly review all other possible options available to you.

For example, the negligent driver may be covered under an employer's or family member's insurance policy. In some cases, a third party may also be held liable for the accident, such as a vehicle manufacturer or government entity. Colin will also investigate to see if your insurance company offered you UM and UIM coverage, since oftentimes this can be an additional source of coverage.

We can help you explore your options

Our firm is focused on helping accident victims get appropriate financial compensation for their injuries. In cases involving uninsured or underinsured motorists, that can be challenging. That is why here at The Scott Law Firm, PLLC, we regularly explore all available insurance coverages, which helps to maximize the recovery our clients receive. If we accept your case and there is inadequate insurance to cover your damages, Colin can explore these options further with you.

If you were injured in an accident involving an uninsured or underinsured driver, talk to a car accident attorney as soon as possible. The clock is ticking and if you wait too long to settle your claim or file a lawsuit, your ability to seek compensation for your injuries may be lost forever.

Learn more about how a car accident attorney can help. Schedule a free consultation with Colin by calling 360-718-3640 or contacting us online. Colin can answer your questions and review your options on an individual, case-by-case basis.

Free Consultation Click Here