The holiday season may be one of the riskiest times of year to travel on Vancouver roadways. As more people hit the road to visit friends and family or hit up the retail stores for gift shopping, traffic congestion will likely increase.
Many drivers will become increasingly irritable, others distracted. To top it off, winter weather conditions can make Vancouver-area roadways unsafe to travel on. So, here is an overview of what to expect this holiday season so you can protect yourself and your family.
Most common holiday-related dangers on the road
An article in EHS Today pinpoints the four most common risky behaviors drivers engage in during the holiday season. These include (but are not limited to):
- Distracted driving: Cellphone distraction may increase during the holidays as many drivers send texts to friends and family or browse the internet to check store hours.
- Impaired driving: There's nothing wrong with having a few drinks at a holiday celebration, family gathering, or dinner party, but some people choose to get behind the wheel after drinking too much.
- Pressured driving: We all get a little stressed out during the holidays. The pressure to buy gifts and plan events, as well as the financial burden, can be mentally and emotionally taxing. Some people, however, take their holiday stress out on the road and engage in erratic behavior, aggressive driving, and even road rage.
- Drowsy driving: Late night celebrations and little time to meet holiday demands translates to fewer hours of sleep or disrupted sleep schedules. Those who get behind the wheel after losing sleep are at a greater risk of being involved in a crash than those who continue to get enough sleep.
Parking lot dangers pedestrians should be aware of
If you plan on hitting up the retail stores and shopping malls, be careful. Commercial parking lots can be unsafe to walk through during the holiday season. Pedestrians are the most at risk of being injured for two reasons:
- Speeding drivers, distracted drivers, and inattentive drivers entering or exiting parking spaces
- Unaddressed ice, snow, and other slipping hazards on walking areas
Injured this holiday season? A Vancouver attorney can help.
The legal team at The Scott Law Firm, PLLC, based in Vancouver, wishes everyone a safe and enjoyable holiday season. A day of celebrating or shopping shouldn't have to end in a catastrophe. Unfortunately, far too many serious and fatal crashes occur this time of year.
According to Injury Facts released by the National Safety Council, in 2017:
- 329 roadway deaths occurred on New Year's Day
- 463 on Thanksgiving
- 299 on Christmas Day
Roughly one-third of these fatalities were caused by drunk driving.
In the event you or a loved one is hurt in a crash, an experienced car accident attorney can help you pursue a solid legal claim. We'll investigate, piece together the evidence, and fight to maximize your compensation. Contact us online to schedule your free consultation.