Certain types of roads in Washington State have more car accidents than others, according to a recent nationwide traffic safety study that compared every state to determine which ones have the most dangerous roads.
And when it comes to "county roads," Washington's are among the top 10 most dangerous in the nation, according to the recent study conducted by traffic safety researchers at MoneyGeek.
Fatal car accidents on county roads in Washington State
The recent MoneyGeek traffic safety study compared car accident fatality rates among all states on five different types of roads. The study aimed to identify which states experienced the highest number of car accidents on specific road types.
In the context of county roads, categorized as roads maintained by town or municipality authorities, Washington State stood out, with 27.5 percent of all car accident fatalities occurring on these roads.
This ranked Washington 7th among states with the highest car accident fatality rates on county roads. These statistics were derived from accident data collected by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) from 2019 to 2021.
Fatal crashes on other types of roads
In addition to fatalities on county roads, Washington State recorded a total of 1,625 car accident fatalities during the period spanning from 2019 to 2021 across various road types, including:
- State highways, characterized as high-speed roads maintained by the state, accounted for 27.3 percent of all car accident deaths in Washington State.
- Local streets, designated as local roads featuring speed limits ranging from 20 to 45 mph, contributed to 24.4 percent of the state's car accident fatalities.
- U.S. highways, which are high-speed roads maintained by the federal government, were associated with 8.4 percent of car accident deaths statewide.
- Interstate highways, recognized as high-speed roads facilitating interstate traffic flow, were responsible for 12.4 percent of car accident deaths in the state.
Along with the significant number of car accident fatalities on county roads, Washington State has experienced a notable surge in car accident deaths in recent years. From 2012 to 2021, car accident fatalities surged by 52.9 percent, increasing from 438 deaths in 2012 to 670 deaths in 2021, according to crash data compiled by the NHTSA.
Understanding crash factors
Over the past decade, Washington State has identified certain types of accidents and contributing factors as significant problem areas, notably:
- Drunk driving – Accounting for a staggering 83.2 percent of the state's car accident fatalities from 2012 to 2021, as reported by NHTSA data.
- Speeding – During the same period, there was a 27.1 percent increase in car accident deaths attributed to speeding drivers.
Additionally, pedestrian accident fatalities in Washington State doubled over this same decade.
Navigating the aftermath of a serious crash
Claims involving car accident injuries can be complex because they often require a thorough investigation, evidence collection, and a deep understanding of the insurance process.
That's why it's often in your best interest to contact an experienced car accident lawyer to help you navigate the process, deal with the insurance company, and advocate for the compensation you deserve.
At The Scott Law Firm, PLLC in Vancouver, Washington, attorney Colin Scott and his dedicated legal team have a passion for justice and offer personalized attention to every client. You can trust us to fight for your rights and work tirelessly to ensure you receive the compensation you're entitled to under the law.
If you or a loved one was hurt in a crash, it's time to call Colin. Contact us today for a free consultation.