Negligent drivers are a frequent source of car accidents in Vancouver, WA.
You’re not alone if aggressive drivers in Washington State seem worse than usual. A recent study by Forbes found that Washington has some of the most aggressive drivers in the country.
“Last year (2021), it was the worst year for road rage shootings, so that fact prompted our team at Forbes Advisor to investigate this,” Mark LoCastro, head of PR & Communications with Forbes Advisor, said in an interview with KOMO News in Washington.
Road rage and aggressive driving are a dangerous combination. At The Scott Law Firm, PLLC, we know that all too well since we have seen the devastating effects of such reckless driving behavior. If you were injured in an accident involving road rage or reckless driving, contact us today to see how an experienced car accident lawyer in Vancouver, Washington, can help you.
What is aggressive driving?
Aggressive driving can describe a wide range of bad driving habits. According to the Forbes study, aggressive driving includes:
- Honking at other drivers in frustration (63 percent of drivers surveyed by Forbes experienced this form of aggressive driving)
- Aggressively tailgating and following another car too closely (62 percent)
- Making rude or offensive gestures to other drivers (45 percent)
- Cutting other drivers off on purpose (43 percent)
- Yelling at other drivers or verbally threatening them (37 percent)
- Speeding and blocking another driver from changing lanes (36 percent)
- Getting into a fight with another driver (8 percent)
- Intentionally hitting another car (6 percent)
- Forcing another car off the road (5 percent)
- Aiming a gun at another driver (3 percent)
Based on the Forbes survey, Washington was the 9th worst state for aggressive driving. According to KOMO News, 41 drivers have been shot at this year so far in King County, Washington.
What to do after an aggressive driving accident
You need to be very careful if you’re involved in a car accident caused by an aggressive driver. “When you become involved with an aggressive driver or drive aggressively yourself, you don’t know if that other person has a weapon or what they’re going to do,” Washington State Police trooper Rick Johnson said in an interview with KOMO News.
So, what should you do in this situation? Every incident is different, but in most cases, you should consider taking the following steps:
- Call 911 right away and tell the police exactly what’s happening.
- Lock your car door and wait for the police to arrive. Don’t put yourself at risk.
- Deal directly with the police and not the other driver.
- Take photos of your accident after the police arrive and if it’s safe to do so.
- If someone saw what happened, get their name and phone number and ask them to talk to the investigating police officer.
- See a doctor as soon as possible. Many car accident injuries can be life-threatening if not treated promptly.
- Contact a car accident lawyer as soon as possible to review your potential legal options.
How a Washington car accident attorney can help you
Even if an aggressive driver caused your collision, don’t simply assume you will be fairly compensated for all your accident-related expenses. Often, even the most straightforward accidents are complicated legal cases.
At The Scott Law Firm, PLLC, our legal team has been fighting for the rights of injury victims in Washington State for years. We have the knowledge, experience, and resources to help you find your way forward after a serious car accident and can fight for the financial compensation you deserve. In addition, we work on a contingency fee basis. That means you pay no fees unless we win your case.
Contact us today for a free consultation to learn what a Vancouver, WA, car accident lawyer can do for you. There are no obligations, and we would be honored to talk to you about your potential legal case.